A few parting thoughts and some funny outtakes from the meeting
- Omaha is a great town. At the suggestion of my friends (who had been before), we stayed right by the arena in Old Market. Hotel rooms are at a premium but it was an excellent location and very convenient
- Gorat’s, one of Warren’s favorite Omaha restaurants is mentioned in the annual letter to shareholders, as is his order (T-bone with hash browns). I was lucky enough to eat here but not brave enough to tackle Warren’s standard order
- Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge – an Omaha landmark, this beautiful bridge is famous for connecting Iowa and Nebraska. Stand in the right spot on the bridge and you can be in two states at one time
- Entrepreneurship in action – I heard stories of shareholders paying Omaha citizens to save their spot in line for them (~$200 going rate). I have a feeling Warren would be proud of this entrepreneurial spirit!
- Comic relief – While the day is filled with serious messaging and education, there is also a fair amount of humor
“My theory is, if it can’t stand a little mismanagement, it’s no business” – Charlie (to which Warren replies “And we’re testing that at times”)
“It’s like a one-legged man in an a$$ kicking contest” – Charlie (to which Warren quickly replied, “if anyone has another metaphor, let me know!)
“The past is a very strange country” – Charlie
“We have a wonderful system. If one of us is stupid in an area, so is the other” – Charlie, in reference of technology stocks
“’I’ve been to Google Headquarters. It looked to me like a kindergarten” – Charlie “A very rich kindergarten” – Warren
“I don’t envy people who are constantly involved in hostile takeovers. Imagine doing that after you are already rich. It’s insane” – Charlie
- Next year’s meeting is Saturday May 4, 2019. Hope to see you there!
Leave a note